Learn How To Measure A Door Size
Measuring a door size sounds pretty basic, right? Just break out a tape measure and check the height and width of your old door. Yes and no. When it comes to measuring doors, there is actually a bit more to it than that.
What measurements you need to take will depend on whether you are replacing just the door or if you are also replacing the frame and hinges.
Learn how to measure a door with these tips:
Interior Door Slab
If your frame and hinges are in good condition and you want to keep them, you can replace just the door (known as a door slab) itself.
To measure for an interior door replacement:
- Measure horizontally across the door in 3 locations: top, middle, and bottom. Record the smallest measurement as the door width.
- Measure the vertical height of the door in 3 locations: left side, center, and right side. Record the smallest measurement as the door height.
- Measure the thickness of the door. (A standard thickness for an interior door is 1-3/4”.)
- Measure the location of all 3 hinges. To obtain these measurements, measure down from the top of the door to the top of each hinge.
- Measure the width and height of each hinge.
- Measure the distance from the top of the door to the center of the bore (hole for the handle). For the most accurate measurement, remove the door handle and deadbolt prior to measuring.
- Measure the distance from the center of the bore (doorknob hole) to the closest door edge.
The Best Replacement Windows and Doors at the Best Price
We're the #1 Reviewed Door and Window Installation Service in Chicago for a reason. We know how to help.
Pre-hung System/Net Frame
If the door frame is damaged or if you want to replace it for aesthetic reasons, you will want to measure the rough opening dimensions as well.
To prepare to take measurements, first, use a pry bar and putty knife to gently remove the trim from around the opening. Use the putty knife to remove any insulation from between the edge of the rough opening and the door slab. This will allow for more accurate measurements.
- As you would with a simple door slab measurement, measure horizontally across the door slab itself. Measure 3 locations: top, middle, and bottom. Record the smallest measurement as the door slab width.
- Also as with a simple door slab measurement, measure the vertical height of the door slab itself. Measure in 3 locations: left side, center, and right side. Record the smallest measurement as the door height.
- Take 3 horizontal measurements of the rough opening (top, middle, and bottom). Record the smallest measurement as the rough opening width.
- Take 3 vertical measurements of the rough opening (left side, center, right side). Record the smallest measurement as the rough opening height.
- Measure the thickness of the door jamb. Record this measurement as the jamb width.
Once you have obtained these measurements, you will be prepared with the information you need to select the right size doors. Contact us with your measurements and we will be pleased to provide you a quote on one of our many popular door styles.